22 September 2006

Unfortunate Closing Thoughts

Do you ever wonder why people go out of their way to be insensitive? I just read Jordan's entire 141-page medical file and found nothing medically surprising. We'd heard it all before, and even though there were many sad things to read, nothing shocking.

At the bottom of each consult dictation is a closing to the affect of: "Thank you for allowing me to participate in the care of this child." One doctor said "Thank you for allowing me to participate in this young lady's care." I thought that was sweet -- Jordan as a young lady, rather than just a patient or just another appointment.

But one closing struck me, and makes me laugh (so I won't cry) & makes me furious at the same time. "Thank you for allowing me to participate in the care of this unfortunate little girl." Yep, that's what she wrote at the end of 2 of her dictations. WHY? What purpose does that serve. Not to my surprise it was the doctor we have had a history of disliking, and were able to ditch in favor of a much much much better (behaved) pediatric neurologist. And, from what I've heard from a number of other parents, this is standard MO for the beast. I'm guessing that she simply has no filter for unnecessary cruelty, and we all know that she's a terrible pediatric neurologist as well.

Boy will the other mothers (who can't stand her) understand my fury when they hear this. I did write a scathing letter to her, but I'm sure I'll never send it. There's clearly no point. She really has no idea what's acceptable and what isn't. At least I got it off my chest.

No comments: