01 November 2006

In Like A Lion -- In November?


It was a gorgeous day, although a bit chilly. But that sounds like the last of the gorgeous days. Rain rain rain, here we come! Oh well, winter was bound to come soon enough, and we did have a nice indian summer.

We were so busy we hardly noticed the weather, unfortunately. In a strange twist, it was actually Avery who went to the doctor today. The eye doctor, that is. She seemed to be rubbing her eyes, particularly the left one, quite a bit. So I thought I would take her in for an all purpose exam -- to see if she had a scratch on her left eye, to see if she could see okay (considering Devon's prescription), and, since we were there, might as well have a look for genetic or metabolic diseases (many can be seen in the eye). She wasn't happy about it, and tried to convince me on the way there that you need to be "30 and a half" to go to the eye doctor, but since he was a pediatric opthamologist, she didn't convince me. She did okay during the exam -- not great. She refused to speak during the eye chart test (cake, horse, duck), but it didn't matter. They put 2 sets of drops in & dilated her pupils, so the doc could evaluate her vision anyway. Let me tell you, this was excrutiating. She did NOT want drops in her eyes, so I had to hold on tight. The results are that her eyes are perfectly healthy, and no genetic/metabolic issues, either. Phew.

Then it was off to run errands with mommy. I returned about $50 worth of blank DVD+R/RW. We just can't seem to get our ILO DVD recorder to recognize any blanks, and I couldn't bear to keep opening worthless package after package, $20 at a time. Suggestions welcome.

Then it was off for a lunch of pizza, then a ride on the carousel, and of course, an ice cream cone. Today she picked bubble gum, and it actually matched her sweater, thereby minimizing the stains I need to "Shout Out" tonight. A few more errands, and then home to get her bangs trimmed (by me!). She did a pretty good job sitting still, but she still seems terrified of the scissors on her forehead. I did my best. It's been a year since I attempted that, and great leaps have been made. Nana Noma was here to help distract, but even that wasn't quite enough to get her to sit still completely.

Then I had to catch up on some Jordan stuff (calling pharmacies looking for dietary supplements, scheduling appointments, etc.), and as soon as the phone is in my hand, the show is on. Avery actually seems to be jealous of me talking on the phone, instead of paying attention to her. Just as I was on my second to last call of the day, Avery lost her balance while absolutely mauling me on the couch, and bam, a** over tea kettle right onto the floor. Then I had to keep her from falling asleep, afraid that perhaps she had a concussion. Froggy movie (Leap Frog Word Factory) seemed to do the trick to keep her awake, and make the ouies go away, too.

Then there was the incident with the oven. I found 2 of her toy foods (a hot dog in a bun, and a piece of corn) melted to the floor of the oven when I opened it to put my baked potatoes in. Apparently she put them in there to cook while she was making me "dinner" a couple hours earlier. Daddy managed to scrape them off, and Avery promised to never play in/with the oven again. Boy did that stink at 450'F! Avery's advice to Devon while he worked away:

1. It's okay, it will dry.
2. Nevermind.
3. Oh, just forget about it.

She's just about always got somethin' to say (unless you want her to talk, then she's suddenly shy & quiet! What is that?!?!?)
Straight into the bath after this shoulder position vomit!
Jordan has been a bit barfy the last couple of days, and pretty crabby this afternoon & evening. However, she seems to want to be sitting UP, with her head cocked wayyyyy over to the right. It's the only position she's happy in, and she' getting a bit of a neck workout with it, so that's okay I suppose. I really hate it when she's crabby, since I really never know why (except when it's ACTH). I put new straps on her TumbleForm seat last night, installed her new carseat in the Pilot, and gave her new stroller a good bath, so now she should have lots of places to be mad about sitting in. She'd always rather be held. That's okay, I really don't mind holding her if it makes her happy, and neither do her grandparents. She certainly gets alot of holding most days.

I'm getting down to some of the last things on my big ol' list, and the spare room is getting ready for some paint soon. This weekend it sounds like. YIPPEE!!

No comments: