03 May 2007

A Joey For 'Joey'

When Jordan was first born Avery called her "Joey" & that's the nickname that stuck*.

Fast forward 16 months: Angel** noticed the Kangaroo feeding pump in the picture in the van (roadtrip to Usk) & told me that we seriously needed to get with the times & get a new, portable feeding pump. I usually take care of the medical details, but I was out of the loop when the pump arrived, and didn't even realize that we had options. So, we've been living with the clunky, old, finicky, hospital model since we got it in August (and really started using it in November-ish).

Now we are the proud "owners" of a brand new Joey portable pump (Joey's have only been available since April, so we're cutting edge now). The thing is awesome. It's small, lightweight, doesn't not have to be sitting perfectly flat to work (in fact it's made to be bounced around while in use), and it's pretty straightforward to use (phew!). It even comes with a backpack for true portability. We hardly need the IV pole now; you can just set it and the bag anywhere. This is going to revolutionize our lives, since we won't be tied to home for feeding times.

The Kangaroo on the right, and the fancy new Joey on the left.
All set up in the backpack, ready to go.
Look mom, no pole!
The old way (from August 2006)In nana Noma's yard back in March. Unfortunately you can't see, and appreciate, the full bungee cord set up going on to make this work. And just this past Saturday I could NOT get it to work out in the yard, so after 15 minutes of fiddling, I had to move her (and me) inside!!! A couple weekends ago, in the van. It worked, but it was finicky if it wasn't perfectly horizontal, so bumps and corners were a problem.

*All of Avery's words at that time ended in "y": water was 'wawey'; more was 'moy'; etc.

**Angel, I owe you big time!!

2 comments:

Julie, Jeff, Jack, WIll and Jasper said...

WOW! WHat a difference! Much improved.
(Jack says wawee too).

Kelly said...

Hi Leslie! I found your blog from the LGS yahoogroup.

My daughter also uses a g-tube and pump. So I'm curious about the portable one. Is there a website available that shows it's specs more in detail? I'm really interested since I see Jordan's pump bag is down low and the pump is between her legs in one of the pictures---that's so cool! I always have to strap my daughter down to use hers (she's mobile sometimes), and she hates that. The portable one would be so great!