01 May 2007

Daddy Duty


Devon's always been the bottle boy of the house. I don't think I've fed either of the girls for more than a few moments with a bottle. Tonight he gave the Haberman Feeder a try. It's a special (prescription) bottle, with a one-way valve, that is supposed to force a baby to do nutritive sucking to get any food (the reward).

She did "great" on Wednesday, but wasn't quite so excited about it tonight. But she gave it a good go. Devon even added sugar to the water to sweeten the deal (pun intended!).

Then they went off to bed. When Devon says he's going to bed, he gets up, walks to the bedroom, lies down, and is asleep in ~30 seconds. Last night he put Avery to bed (huh? what's that? see photo below), and then Jordan, too.

Hmmmmmm, when I got there they were both snoring, and I had to pry her off (she was practically glued to his chest hair with her drool/snot/mucous), put on a new diaper, and hook up her food for her overnight feed. Then, as most mom's do, I had to finish loading the dishwasher & get that started, rotate the laundry, feed & scoop the cats, turn off all the lights inside and outside, lock the doors, check on Avery, brush teeth, and then finally, go to bed, where I have to read for at least 15 minutes to be able to fall asleep. I often wish I had the pillow-induced narcolepsy Devon & Avery have. . . .

Silly sleeping in her leisure suit jammies (they're velour -- what you might expect a 70-year-old lady to wear to play shuffleboard, after she puts the bright red lipstick on her lips, but doesn't quite recognize her natural lip boundaries anymore).

Nighty-night!

1 comment:

Julie, Jeff, Jack, WIll and Jasper said...

It drives me nuts when dad is asleep and there are still a million things to do before bed!