28 May 2007

Enough Already

After a long winter of short, grey days & feeling cooped up in the house, I love to get going on projects. Cleaning, organizing, sorting, throwing things out, it's all very therapeutic. But if this is therapy, I must have earned a degree in psychology this spring. It seems like it never ends; I just move from one end of the house to the next, then start all over again. . . . The worst, though, is the duck barn. While cleaning it in April we found a carpenter ant infestation (bad, bad, bad, and we have no idea how long it's been infested -- the whole thing could collapse tonight), and have a fumigation scheduled for tomorrow. So, for the second time this spring -- on an even bigger scale, we completely emptied it. And of course, now that it's empty, all I can see are walls to be painted & shelves to be installed. Meanwhile, ~80% of our storage is all spread out on the lawn, again. At least it's hidden from most of the neighbors now thanks to the great new gate & mini-fence at the front of the house. (I hope the neighborhood raccoon doesn't go crazy out there tonight!)

Although I no longer consider cleaning out the duck barn therapeutic, I do have one renewed passion -- painting. Not artistic watercolors or oil-on-canvas type painting, but house painting. I can't believe how many things around here need it! Trim around the new door & window in the playroom, touch-ups all over the playroom, new semi-gloss trim "applesauce" in the great room, trim in our bedroom (one piece of moulding behind the door), trim in the mud room, touch-ups in the mud room, green in Avery's room (ahhhhhh! we finally found it when we cleaned out the duck barn, and now we can finally cover the patch from the bathtub installation/repair with the actual matching color). And, of course, then there's priming & painting the outside of the house, and the main entryway door needs to be stained. And then there's the ENTIRE downstairs basement to be painted -- every wall in the hallway & family room, the built-ins, my goodness, I hope painting doesn't make me crazy either.

Now, I just need to figure out how to add a few hours to my days so I can get this all done. . . before it's time to start re-painting the house.

No comments: