30 May 2007

I Can Build It

Sometimes I forget how nice it is to work outside, and I honestly didn't remember how much fun building shelves can be. It only took one evening, including buying supplies, eating dinner, and apparently torturing an overtired, skinned-kneed Avery through a nice cool bath before bed.

They may not be pretty, but they're strong! 64 square feet of shelving (2 sheets of plywood cut up), 30 brackets, and 144 screws (plus a whole bunch I mutilated along the way). Thankfully Devon is amassing a nice set of tools, which was key!
The lame shelf I took down before I started putting up the real ones!One down, five to go!All done! Now I guess we have to get the stuff back into the duck barn.

It was so nice to be working with my hands & doing something I could stand back and see, it sorta made me wanna get my old Stihl & cut down some trees, or grab a pulaski & dig some line, or, hey, I haven't had a driptorch in hand for quite awhile*. Sorta.

On the down side, I was not happy to finding about 100 carpenter ants running amok after I swept up one of their sawdust piles. Having no ant or bug spray on hand, I did them in with a can of wasp & yellow jacket spray. I guess we better get some ant killer to have on hand, since the exterminator told us we have a world-class carpenter ant mecca going on all over our barn & back yard -- and it's not over yet!

Avery wanted to "build [her] own," which meant that she pounded & pounded on that nail for about 45 minutes. I thought she was doing well with the hammer, and she didn't complain of hitting her fingers once. I even risked it and held the nail for her off & on, and she didn't hit my fingers either. Not bad for 3!

*My old US Forest Service summer job, forest fire fighting.

1 comment:

Julie, Jeff, Jack, WIll and Jasper said...

Good for you! I am so impressed by how much work you guys get done!