26 August 2006

Just the Thumbs, Please


I managed to sneak out of the house today for a quick trip to Albertson's, in search of cat litter (I happen to like their store-brand the best, don't ask me why). It was very strange. I was there by myself, zombie-like with exhaustion, walking up and down each aisle remembering what a super market really does have to offer. And I didn't have to push the cart exactly down the middle of the aisle so that Avery couldn't reach things and throw them in or knock them down as we go. Wow, supermarkets have TONNES of stuff in them! I forgot. Did I mention that already?

A rare moment of sleep.

And then I got a little sad, again (sadness tends to happen randomly throughout the days). I realized as I walked that I was unconsciously looking for special treats or toys that Avery & Jordan might enjoy, something to break the doldrums of any random day. I looked around, perhaps for some new color crayons for Avery, or finger paints if they happened to have any. Then at some point I realized that there really is nothing I can get for Jordan. Nothing. Not a stuffed animal, or a new sippy cup, or a bowl & spoon set, or a rattle, or even a teething ring or chewy toy. Yes she's getting teeth, but she can't hold the ring, and she'd gag if I tried to put it in her mouth. Of course we have these things at home and she doesn't need anything else, but still, sometimes, as a parent, you want to get something new or special or even just fun or silly for your child.

And suddenly I remembered driving in the car with Avery at almost 4-months-old, and watching her (in the series of car mirrors) actually playing with her pyramid rattle (from Kelly). Then I thought of 8-month-old Jordan, unable to hold her head up, let alone hold or play with a toy. In the end Jordan got a package of gigantic binkies -- the biggest ones I've ever seen (and believe me, I've seen alot of binkies). We'd love it if she could actually use a binky (i.e. keep it in her mouth), but alas, once again & $3.46 later, nope. No go on the small binkies, no go on the round binkies, no go on the oval binkies. Not the hospital style binkies, not the fancy binkies, not even the 1.5- to 3-year-old binkies. Just mommy's thumbs for her. No binkies, or toys, or rattles, or stuffed animals will do, just mommy's thumbs.

So, Avery got a new cushie ball (she's very into throwing and catching these days), and Jordan gets the same old, sore mommy thumb whenever she needs to settle down. And sometimes it even works.

At least my newly pedicured feet are fun, and help keep things light.

Well, if your toes can't have fun, what can!? You should have heard the chuckles at the pedi store! Seeeeeee, FUN for everyone. And why is it that nurses seem to appreciate them the most?

No comments: