23 November 2007

Leaves In The Moonlight

Devon and I sneaked out tonight while the girls were sleeping and raked the leaves in the front yard, so they could go away with the yard debris pick-up in the morning. It was a nice & chilly fall night, with an almost full moon, and with 2 of us it only took about 10 minutes to fill up our two yard debris bins that are hauled away every fortnight.

When we were done I felt a certain sense of accomplishment, knowing that this fall we are actually keeping up with the leaves, and won't still be raking them up and putting them curbside every two weeks until May. And the reason we won't be behind until next summer is because we took a big truck load of leaves a couple of weekends ago. And the reason we were able to do that was because we had a wonderful nurse here with Jordan, so we could be outside working together, getting rid of a couple of months worth of leaves in one afternoon. And, oddly enough, that's what made me stop and realize what I'm truly thankful for today as we celebrate Thanksgiving.

At dinner today with my mom, Avery & Jordan, my aunt Janet & uncle Charlie, and a few other family friends all I could think to be thankful for were the traditional things like family & friends. [I was also thankful that Jordan & I weren't hanging out at the hospital together today either, as she does seem to be fighting off a cold & that always brings on a trip to the "Hotel Emanuel" down in Portland.] But as we went around the table sharing the things we were thankful for I felt as though I really hadn't put my heart into it. But raking the leaves up tonight it suddenly became as clear as the moonlight on a cloudless night:

I am thankful for the nursing care that Jordan is now receiving -- not just because it gives me part of my life, my freedom, and my existance back -- but because it also gives her the love, care, and devotion of another person. And when the nurses aren't around doting over her, I want to hug her and hold her even more, because I "missed" her while she was in their care (even if I was in the same room).

I am thankful for Avery & the wonderful girl she is turning into. Its hard to imagine her getting older & growing up, but by golly she just keeps doing it, and I'm amazed every day at the person she's becoming. She definitely has her 3-yr-old moments that make me crazy, but don't we all (no matter how old we are)! And she's definitely had some curveballs thrown at her already -- all she wants is a little sister to play with, but that's not what she got. And even though she has minor bouts of "Jordan jealousy" on a daily basis, Avery is Jordan's biggest advocate! She hugs and kisses Jordan to calm down, insists that people are delicate with her special sister, and barks commands to the nurses like she's in charge (e.g.: make sure to give her tummy time, Jordan needs a story now, don't forget her medicine). And Jordan always pops her eyes wide open when her big sister is around singing and talking to her, and trying to get her to play with toys.

I am thankful for Jordan, my little "fish."

I am thankful for my wonderful husband Devon who works full-time-plus all week, and still comes upstairs at the end of the day to make us dinner. He nourishes our bodies with his cooking and our souls with his strength, sacrifice, and determination to keep our family going. I am especially thankful for his understanding. Living with 3 women can't be easy on any man, but he does an amazing job of letting me just be me.

I am thankful for my family: My mother who moved to Vancouver to be near us & her grandchildren as they grow up, and helps us out every single day. My sister who is making the world a better place one student at a time. My father who is doing his best to battle cancer, and the rest of my family (Kay, Jon Paul, Jessica, Grandpa) who are fighting that battle with him daily. Devon's parents who moved across the continent to be closer to us & provide strength & support every day to our family.

I'm thankful for friends who share their lives with us, the good & the bad, the ups & the downs.

And I'm thankful for a cool, crisp, moonlight-filled fall night, and the chance to just "be" with Devon while the rest of our world is resting peacefully.
I'm also very thankful for my new camera and the happiness it brings

No comments: