10 July 2007

Two Slides & Lots Of Excitement

It was the beginning of a new era yesterday: Pre-School. (Yikes, we have a pre-schooler on our hands! Where does it end? She can't be growing up that fast!)

When we first started talking about pre-school with her a few months ago she was pretty sure she did NOT want to be a part of it. So I decided on a surprise field trip for her. We pulled into the parking lot, and the first thing she said was "Look mom, they have 2 slides here!" Then we toured through the building, met some of the teachers, saw some of the other kids playing & "studying," and she was sold. Imagine the surprised look on her face at the end of the visit when I told a very excited Avery that this was called Pre-School. She couldn't wait to go!

Of course it was a little different story yesterday morning. We had to wake her up to get there by 8:30, and not being a morning person (like the rest of us), she had lots of good sleep-talk excuses: 2 more days until I start, I have to be 5 to go to Kindergarten, leave me alone I'm sleeping. . . . But, once she was up and going things went well. We both went to show her around, and I stayed for ~20 minutes until she had her morning snack and started playing (it was recess time when we got there). Reports from the teacher were that she only had one little episode: She was chewing on my business card* while swinging, and when they asked her to take it out of her mouth, she had a few "I want mommy" tears. But other than that it was all playing, singing, and coloring. Not bad for a previously super shy kiddo. I think it helped that for the summer there are only 3 kids in her class: Avery, Maddox, & Nick (but there are other kids there in different classes, and they get to play together at recess). There's room for 3 more, so it might fill up in the fall, but it seems like a great number to start with.

I think we're going to do okay. Last night at dinner she asked if she could go to pre-school again soon!
One of the slides -- shockingly, she wasn't allowed on the big slide -- they said she was too little. But this one was good enough for the first day, anyway. Blueberry chips & apple juice for a morning snack during morning recess. She had just finished eating breakfast 5 minutes before we got there (she could get there as early as 6:00am, but I don't ever see that happening. . .).
Time to try out some of the other playground equipment before music class started.
*I gave her a business card with my name on it to put in her pocket, so if she was missing me during the morning she could pull it out and remember that her mommy is always with her. After she chewed on it on the swing the teacher folded it and put it back in her pocket. When she got home she promptly threw it away saying it was ruined & crusty. So much for her sentimental side.

No comments: