08 June 2007

Absolutely (Walking) On The Moon!


Well, I guess technically I was over the moon at my Mother's Day gift last night: The Police concert (in Seattle). It was awesome. I was worried they'd be a bit washed up doing 25-year-old songs, but they all seemed to be having a GREAT time. They played all the hits & a few of my favorite non-hits,* and came back for 3 encores.**

Could you guess this was when they were playing Roxanne?
In case any of you don't know, I'm a gi-normous Sting & The Police fan, and have been ever since I can remember (although Sting's album The Dream Of The Blue Turtles was perhaps a key turning point in my fanaticism). I was too young for Police concerts when they were the deal, but I have seen a few Sting concerts that were glorious. But lately I've found him (and Eric Clapton, who I like, but not quite on the same level) a little too 'Adult Contemporary' for my tastes -- but hey, I guess that can happen when you're 55. . . . So I was thrilled to see them just having fun, rockin' out, playing the hits. I hope that doesn't make me old and lame! Oh well, it was a once-in-a-lifetime deal for me, so I'll gladly take it.
For better pictures click the box on the left side of this page.

It wasn't easy pulling this off. First, Devon had to get tickets; he was first in line when they added a second show for Seattle, and it was sold out in ~30 seconds, so that was a good thing! Then we had to coordinate childcare & accommodations, also not easy. In the end, Avery stayed with nana Noma (who is braving through a broken pelvis right now!), and Jordan came with us. Aunt Jill happened to be in Seattle last night, so she stayed with Jordan at the hotel while we were gone. She handled everything cold turkey -- the medicine, the suction machine, the feeding pump, all with directions written out on a hotel notepad & discussed during dinner at Buca Di Beppo's. Only a few minor glitches, but hey, it was only for a few hours, and we all survived!

I was really worried about making it to Seattle and to the concert with Jordan's ER visit on Sunday night, her on-going cold & health issues, and of course nana Noma's broken pelvis, so I was trying not to think about it or get too excited. In fact, I was still suffering from a little bit of dis-belief even as we sat there in our seats at Key Arena. But that all ended when the music started, and I slipped into a little corner of heaven for a couple of hours. I used to say all the time (& forget to say it most of the time now), "it all works out in the end." And it certainly did last night!

*Here's the review & set list for Wednesday night, the first night of the US tour, and the 6th night of the North American tour. The set list is almost identical, and the review is spot on.

**At least we got to hear those 5 songs, but seriously, 1 encore is enough, 3 is just kinda lame. I guess its the game ya gotta play at concerts.

No comments: