14 September 2007

Busy, As Usual

This whole week has really been different. It's such a blessing and a relief to have some nursing care for Jordan (who's on Amoxicillin for an ear infection, but is otherwise doing fairly well). I went to a girls' night hot tub get together on Wednesday night, the the Landau Associates new office open house on Thursday with Devon, and Friday night we had a date & went to see Body Worlds 3 at OMSI. It was pretty cool. After we left Devon's first comment was "If I learned one thing it's that there's not much to eat on a human. I didn't see any good lookin' steaks. I guess if I had to I'd go for the thigh and the butt." Lovely!!

I've really tried to take advantage of the nursing care while we have it. I definitely don't use it to sleep, there are too many other things to do! Like painting & remodelling mostly.

We decided on Wednesday that we needed to replace the 10-month-old carpet in the playroom, thanks to an accident the cats had last December while we were on vacation. We just couldn't get the smell out. I bought another remnant from the same store, and was only mildly surprised to find that it was the exact same carpet -- exactly. So, you can't even tell the difference. Devon decided that he could install it himself, and, by golly, he did! He rented some apparatus this morning, and had the carpet installed in time to watch the USC/Nebraska game with Galen at 5:00pm.

Meanwhile, since I couldn't get in the playroom to paint in there, I decided it was time to finish up the mudroom painting once and for all. Phew! Glad that's done. Just some minor paint touch-ups in the playroom, and then it'll be time to move the construction equipment downstairs. Lots to do down there with the bathroom ripped out, the hallway tile sitting around waiting to be installed, and all the walls textured & primed, but not yet painted.

I just don't know what I'd do if I didn't have a thousand things to do around the house. Sometimes it makes me frustrated & anxious (because it never ends), but mostly it's a distraction (as Jaynie pointed out the other night). I think she's right! Besides, I've never been good at idle time.

Avery had a busy day today, too. She started gymnastics this morning and was a regular Mary Lou Retton (unlike last September, when she wouldn't do anything & we had to switch her to swimming lessons, which she didn't really like, either). Then she & nana Noma went to the Farmers' Market & playground (like they do every Saturday morning), and at home she "helped" us with the painting & carpet. We finished off the day with a trip to JJ Jump, with Kate, Sarah, & Sean. Finally she's at the perfect age to run off & play with her friends, and not need an adult to help her navigate. There was one slide that she couldn't quite get onto by herself unless she took a run at it -- it was hilarious to watch. Sometimes it took 3 tries, but she always got up on it in the end. Jordan slept through almost the entire 1.5 hours, blasting music, disco ball, & all.

As usual, it's been a busy week!

2 comments:

Astrid said...

JJJump looks super cool ... I know what you mean - I have to have 100 things on the go. I don't know what I would do otherwise...

Julie, Jeff, Jack, WIll and Jasper said...

Congrats on having some time together (you and Devon), and some time to yourself! I am so happy for you. Crossing my fingers that the nurse will be a permanent addition to the family!