26 January 2007

RSV: Really Sick with a Virus

It's official! We're sick. Devon, nana Noma, & I have been fighting it off, but the girls both have RSV bronchiolitis (Respiratory Syncytial Virus). I loaded them up and headed down to the pediatrician today, after a week of coughing. Avery is dealing with it, and is on the mend, but Jordan is in miserable agony. They tested her for RSV and it came back positive. While waiting for the test results they gave her a breathing treatment (nebulizer & albuterol) to see if it helped her breathing - but it didn't do a thing for her. So, we filled a prescription for some steroids (just in case), and are planning for a long weekend. The on-call doctor is prepared to hear from us if her breathing becomes too labored. So, we're crossing our fingers, hoping that the worst is over (her fever seems to be breaking up), and that we won't have to crack the steroids (side effects: irritability -- we don't want to add that to the mix if we don't need to).

And, to add insult to injury, Jordan has the worst diaper rash of her life. It's so red & angry that I'm trying to leave her commando as much as I can. The combo of pedialyte (mixed with her formula) and the Miralax we started on Wednesday has caused a dramatic swing in the pendulum -- from constipation to border-line diarrhea. I didn't even give her Miralax today, and won't until this gets under control.

Hopefully we'll be able to avoid a hospital stay until Monday/Tuesday, when she's scheduled to be there for her (10th) 24-hour EEG. Although I'm often relieved by the time Jordan's admitted to the hospital (she's so sick I'm glad to be relieved of the stress of trying to make her better; that's what the nurses and doctors are for, right?). However, these are like being in solitary confinement for me; she's not sick, doesn't need nursing, and I can't leave the room or sleep because I have to watch her all the time and mark her odd movements (possible seizures).

On the bright side -- there's no better time than now to be building super industrial Marbleworks tracks. I bought another set off eBay & they arrived today -- awesome. I even let Avery & Devon play with it sometimes. But I hate how quickly the marbles get lost all over the house -- drives me a little crazy (so far 3 of the 20 are MIA). Avery, on the other hand, could care less where the marbles end up, and even likes to stop the mid-track, which I just find annoying.


And on the even brighter side, we're expecting clear skies and dry weather through the weekend, so hopefully Avery will be feeling up to going outside again soon. I know I'm ready to move out onto the deck again and shake this winter cabin fever.

1 comment:

Julie, Jeff, Jack, WIll and Jasper said...

OH LESLIE! It has really gotten bad! I am so sorry. I just hope you can stay out of the hospital. Try to forget how many marbles you have and have lost. You can always get more. Do you think we worry about those silly things so that we don't spend our time worrying about the big things?? (I searched garbage bags for Mr. Potato head's arm the other day!). xo!