27 January 2007

Misery & Mending

Poor Jordan, she's in bad shape. I'm about to go check us into the "Hotel Emanuel" (aka hospital). I was up most of the night listening to her cough & wheeze. I talked to a hospital nurse at ~4:00am, and she suggested we go ahead & start the steroids (she listened to her breath on the phone for a couple minutes). We tried to get in to see the doc today, but I couldn't get anyone at the office to answer the phone, so we've been on our own all day.

Prednisolone, the steroid, is supposed to make her irritable (like all steroids). But it seems to have just made her unbelievably sleepy. The same thing happened when she was on ACTH -- at first. . . . Hopefully we'll be done with these in 3 to 5 days, like the bottle says.

She really has been pathetic today. She hardly has the strength to cough, but when she does, it sounds painful. I suspect I won't be sleeping again tonight, as I'll be up all night listening to her breath.

Avery, on the other hand, is just about well again. She still has occassional coughing fits, and seems a little bit more tired than usual, but she & Devon were gone for 2 hours today playing at the playground (cold, but clear & sunny) & hanging out at the library. When she got home she & I were supposed to build our new Marbleworks track for today, but she was much more interested in just putting all the straight ones together to make an 8 foot long "stick" instead. Finally we got it all put together, then spent at least a half-hour racing our marbles down different tracks. After dinner she & Devon built Mr. Potato Heads for awhile. I love those, too, but I had to make room for Devon to get some playing in today, too I suppose. She was doing great until~8:00pm, and then it was clearly time for bed.

No comments: