17 January 2007

I'll Do It My Way!

Well, Avery is totally 3 these days. She's full of hilareous comments and phrases [she'll add phrases like these in the strangest places: "in the whole wide world," "I just can't believe my eyes," "okay Mr. Bossy"] -- sometimes it's hard not to crack up! She's also into "Let's Pretend" -- big time! We spend about all day pretending we're all different people doing different things. I'm relieved to know she has a very active imagination!

On the annoying side are things like doing everything herself & doing things her way! I know these are important developmental stages, but why does everything she wants to do herself take about 5 times longer than it should? When will she have a sense of time? Personally, I can't wait for that. Actually, I take it back -- she does have a sense of time sometimes: she knows when we're in a hurry, which slows her down even more.

And as for doing things her way, I think she does things just to make me a little crazy. She loves painting, but wants to mix all the colors and use 6 brushes at a time, in one hand! And, despite starting out with about 20 Play Doh colors at the beginning of the year, now there's just a gallon ziplock bag of sparkling purply-brown. And Marbleworks -- forget it. It's torture for me. She just can't wait for the marbles to get all the way to the bottom, and catches them mid-path, then starts them at different places in the maze. She never lets me just play with it the traditional way. . . .

I guess she'll grow out of these things (all too soon), but I do find it odd that despite the paint & Play Doh mixing, she won't let her peas touch her olives, or her hot dog touch her bread on her plate!

No comments: