06 August 2007

Pea Smoothie

Milk, apple juice, chicken, canola oil, corn syrup, rice cereal, and PEAS -- Avery's choice.
I've been trying to get the nerve up for a few weeks to make my own blenderized food for Jordan, but the task seemed daunting. All 522 calories of it (that's all she gets in a day, and she's still so chubby: NO EXERCISE!!).

For most of you this probably sounds silly. Throw some food in a blender and go. But the kitchen isn't really my space; my talents lie elsewhere! So, when I am in the kitchen it's Trader Joe's frozen food aisle or recipes measured out with the precision of a chemistry lab. No "dash of this, touch of that" for me.

So, after days of fiddling with the base diet the dietician provided* I finally braved it. I had to really wrap my head around the whole thing, and be able to calculate all the food amounts, calories, fat, fiber, and protein, and then convince myself that the calculations were right and that I really could do it. Luckily smoothie pro Avery was there for moral support, and to pick out the vegetable (peas) and run the blender. She's already got years of experience making smoothies with Devon, and was very insistent that we needed yoghurt -- the base of a traditional smoothie in this house (didn't happen, though).

So, after about 30 minutes we'd finally made her meal. We decided to start her off at 50% Pea Smoothie & 50% Compleat -- which is perhaps a bit much, but the ingredients are similar so I just took the plunge.
Now I'm just going to have to make a few more recipes in order to vary her diet a bit. And when we get the VitaMix (soon) we'll be able to throw in anything right from the table -- even steak can be liquified (and somehow you can make bread dough in them, too, now that's a blender!). But to be honest, I don't know how spontaneous I can be with that. I'm sure I'll be weighing and measuring every gram.

*Because it's too much to ask to have a competent dietician, I guess, but that's a different story. . . .

No comments: