15 March 2008

A Visit From Avery

We got out of the PICU today. It really was a bit unnecessary, but oh well. We hardly even saw our nurse, she had another patient that really needed her, so I was on my own to stop alarms & sucko through the night. Oh well. So much for that great night of sleep I was planning. I guess I should know by now that the hospital is no luxury hotel. . . .

Now that we're back in the Shriners Hospital Avery was allowed to come visit. Finally -- she got to see the cast. She thought it was pretty cool, but that it should have been blue instead of red. I told her I picked red so it would match most of Jordan's clothes. It just seemed like the "Jordan color."

Jordan is doing so well I can hardly believe it. She's telling us when she's in pain, uncomfortable, or just needs attention (although we have to figure out which one), and luckily it's not that often. She's rarely getting suctioned (less than at home, even), and she's back to full-strength feeds at her regular rate. I even had to whip out the VitaMix this morning & make her some more. Pork, green beans, cherries, cranberry juice, soy yogurt & the other usual items. Unlike in other parts of the country, no one here in Portland bats an eye that she doesn't get formula, just because she has a tube. Everyone thinks its great, as do I, or I wouldn't drag that blender around with me every time we're away from home for more than a day.

If all goes well tonight she'll be weaned off her epidural tomorrow, rest here on Sunday to make sure things are okay & she's not in too much pain, then home on Monday. We've even got her new wheelchair & car seat in the room ready to be put into action. I'm very interested in seeing how she will do in a "regular" wheelchair, now that she has the cast holding her in place -- no more Miss Noodle for awhile!

Our PICU room, even had a bench-bed for me!
Pork smoothie!
Out of "jail" [the crib] and back to bananas -- they're almost like a pacifier to her these days, and it's pretty clear to us when she's asking for one
Avery gets to check out the cast
Then they got to watch a Scooby Doo DVD together

No comments: