06 October 2007

Sometimes Life Just Gets In The Way

I'm still here, I hope you haven't lost interest. We've been incredibly busy.

Avery & I made a quick trip to eastern Washington this week -- well, I'm not sure if there's anything "quick" about 7+ hours in the car with a normally active 3.5 year old, but we were only gone on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. We had planning to do for the big birthday bash next weekend, and some things just need to be sorted out in person. And it was a good excuse to get to see my dad, and help out around the house a little bit (not nearly enough, though). He is very tired and weak, and a little ghostly looking (skinny & pale), but everyone kept commenting on how much better he's been doing over the last 1o days, so that's a good sign, I guess. He even made it out on Tuesday to watch my (freshman) sister Jessica's volleyball game, and on Thursday morning to join the birthday breakfast celebration for a dear family friend, Kathy.
Grandma Kay, Avery, & grandpa Gary waiting for breakfast to comeAvery & grandpa Gary

Avery couldn't be happier on the farm. She sat with grandpa Gary for ages -- where ever he sat down, she was on his lap. Uncle Jon Paul & aunt Jessie are pretty popular, too! She was devastated to learn that they didn't stay home from school just to play with her. Avery even got to help with the chores on Wednesday & Thursday nights. Rounding up cows on the 4-wheeler & milking Pixie with Jon Paul were the highlights. She also loves playing with grandpa-grandpa John & Dona, and sleeping in the 5th wheel is always a big hit. I was only able to convince her to leave by promising a trip back next week . . . .
Avery snapped this picture of grandpa-grandpa John at Kathy's birthday breakfast on Thursday morning

And even though it's 7+ hours in the car, Avery's already learning the route. She knows that in the Tri-Cities (about half way) there's a "Dilly Queen" and 2 "Robin's Baskets" -- (Dairy Queen & Baskin Robbins). Hmmmmm, I'm not sure that navigating by ice cream store is an approved method, but hey, whatever keeps the kid from going bananas in the back seat works for me.

"What's this thing, can I watch it pleeaaassseee???" Avery found this cassette tape (and a few others) in the toybox that grandma Kay has. She really really really wanted to watch it! I kept telling her you could only hear it, and finally we realized that Jon Paul has a tape deck on his stereo in his room. It only took us a few minutes to figure out how to make it work so she could hear the tape once and for all. I guess cassettes are now the equivalent of 8-tracks in the 80s and 90s. (And, by the way, how cute are those kickers on her feet! Now that's a cowgirl at heart.)

In addition to our travels, we also spent quite a bit of time at the beginning of the week on Marble Works. Avery's getting pretty good at putting them together just right to make the track work, and I'm getting better about letting her touch them. Of course, sometimes I just can't resist & have to take over, but I know, I know, it's supposed to be a learning game for her, not a test of my skills to use every piece in the rough-tote to build the biggest marble track ever. . . . We still have a ton of things to do over the next couple of weeks, so bear with me -- I'll be back eventually. . . .

1 comment:

Julie, Jeff, Jack, WIll and Jasper said...

Of course the boots are on the wrong feet!