20 November 2008

Another Update

Well, besides raking up the leaves (see below), we've been very busy, as usual.

We're sorry to report that nurse Robin is no longer with us. She was traveling from a few hours away and staying in a hotel to be with us each week, and it just got to be too much for her life & family. We totally understand, but we do miss her. So, we've been in the process of finding a new nurse to help us out with Jordan. We're glad to report that Amy has joined "the team" & will be here 3-4 days a week. We're very thankful to have her, as she is a wonderful, caring person!

Good thing for the help, too, as Jordan is sick again. I've thought a couple of times since Tuesday night that we'll be heading to Emanuel (the children's hospital) at any time, but just when it seems like it's time to go she bounces back. She's coughing like a maniac, which requires constant suctioning, and she's miserable. Luckily, she doesn't have a fever, and if she can fall asleep, she can stop coughing. Unfortunately, when she is coughing, she's getting dehydrated, too, because she can't keep her food down. So now we're doing a continuous, slow feed all day, instead of her usual 5 meals a day (each ~1 hour long). Fingers crossed that we can weather this "storm" at home, as I'm in no mood to spend the night in a blue chair in the PICU at this point.

Of course Avery is probably the culprit -- she has a bit of a runny nose. . . probably picked it up at pre-school. Nothing worse than that for her. Jordan just can't handle colds the way the rest of us can! I have a little bit of the snuffles, too, but not nothing serious. I'm hoping it stays that way for all of us.

I finally broke down and went to the hand surgeon about my finger. I made them put 3 lead blankets over me for the x-rays, which was why I was avoiding the doctor. But, after almost 6 weeks I knew I had to do something, because it's still swollen, painful, and I can't bend it. The doctor seemed a little disappointed that I don't need surgery, but I was happy to find out that even though there is a small bone chip in the middle joint, it shouldn't be a long-term problem, and that most of the damage was to the ligaments & tendons. He said to get bending it soon, and come back in 3 weeks. I am making real progress at bending it now that I'm not worried it's going to make it worse. I really need my hand back! Talk about inconvenient!

And best of all, Devon is home from his 3 days at the office in Orange County. Luckily he doesn't have to travel too much, because boy do we miss having him at home!

1 comment:

Julie, Jeff, Jack, WIll and Jasper said...

Crossing my fingers Jordan can be cured without Hotel Emmanuel! That girl is going to have to live in a bubble! xox